Nasturtium as a garden flower is well known. This herb is fast-growing
in sunny place. Seeds need soil, water, Sun and bio fertilizer in airy
place to grow. Germination takes place in moist soil within a week.
Growth needs care to put water in afternoon. Leaves are circular with
slightly curved margin. The flowers are 2.5 to 6 cm. diameter, with
five petals. They vary from yellow to orange to red. Used as salads in
different dishes. Leaves has property to cure throat sore. It has antivirus
Keywords: Herb; Nasturtium; Germination
Plants grows in park, garden as well as in small flower pots. Trailing stem grows to 3-6 ft. Leaves are peppery in taste. Whole plant is edible. The flowers contain about 130 mg. Vitamin C per 100 gram ( 3.5 oz. ).The fruit is 2 cm. broad, three segmented with a single large seed 1 to 1.5 cm. long [1,2,3,4,5].
Use earthen pot to grow this plant in moist clayey soil. Seeds brought from Nursery live.com ( on line ) Pune. They provide a packet of biofertilizer with seed packet. Small amount helps to germinate fast and healthy plants comes from seeds. Leaves are small with prominent veins radiating to the smoothly rounded or slightly lobed margin. Foliage comes and number of leaves increasing day-by day.
This fast growing plant is helpful in many ways. As a ground cover used in garden and parks. Leaves and flowers are edible. Medicinal property to cure throat sore and it has anti- virus property too. Used leaves and flowers in culinary art as well as in salads. More cultivation and future research will help to throw more light of this plant [6,7,8,9].
This annual herb cultivation will improve pharmacy in future. Cough syrup from leaf extract cure throat sore. As a kidney cleanser it is used in salad plate. It has anti-cancer property too.
- Nasturtium: How to Plant, Grow, and Care for Nasturiums | The Old Collect them, brush off the soil, dry them, and store them in a paper envelope in Nasturtium do like to have regular waterings; they just don't like to sit in water.
- Gi-chang Kim, Jin-Sook Kim, Gyoung-Mi Kim, Song-Yi Choi (2017) Anti-adipogenic effects of Tropaeolum majus (nasturtium) ethanol Since the Ministry of Food and Drug Safety (MFDS) in Korea approved the use of flowers, leaves, and shoots of T. majus as food ingredients 61(1).
- Katrin Stelter, Elke Bloem, Andreas Berk, Sven Dänicke (2014) Metabolism of Glucotropaeolin from Tropaeolum majus L (Nasturtium) How to cite this paper: Tropaeolum majus L. (Nasturtium) and the The animals received the T. majus in different dosages 4:180-190.
- Garden Nasturtium - Growables T. majus seeds. Tropaeolum majus fruit, Fruit de Tropaeolum majus, (Grande capucine). T. majus, orange flower bud. Nasturtiumgrowing in zone.
- Nasturtium, Tropaeolum majus (2007) Master Gardener Program Nasturtium is the common name of Tropaeolum majus, a welcome addition serpentine trails on the leaves, but this doesn't damage the plant.
- Benyelles B, Hocine Allali, Nadia Fekih, Touaibia M (2018) Chemical Composition of the Volatile Components of T. majus L (garden nasturtium) from north western algeria.
- Garzon GA, Ronald Wrolstad E (2018) Major anthocyanins and antioxidant activity of Nasturtium flowers (Tropaeolum majus)11(4): 44-49.
- Collecting Nasturtium Seed (2011) How to collect and store Nasturtium (Tropaeolum majus) seed. nasturtiums they always self seed in following years, so I don't need to replant.
- Double Gleam Nasturtium Seeds (Tropaeolum majus) - Seed Needs Ground cover: Nasturtium thrives in average, sandy dry soils. Do you have a spot in full sun or partial shade you haven't gotten around to cultivating.